Virtually everyone knows that these days, having a website is imperative for just about every business. Unless you’re a small town mom & pop shop that everyone knows about and you have no ambitions of expanding, having an online presence is the way of the 21st century.
However, whether you’re an established business or the new kid on the block, simply throwing up a website isn’t going to do the job. To get eyes on your website, at least from consumers that don’t already know about you, Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is a key part of the process and one you simply can not overlook.
While we could go into the specifics of exactly what is SEO and why it’s so important, that’s been done countless times and we wanted to focus on tips for a specific business niche this time: real estate.
If you’re in the business, keep reading. Having your website optimized for the local market is vital for true success and these tips could come in quite handy for every realtor.
You Need Audited
Don’t get scared, this is an SEO audit and is an extremely important step in ensuring that your website is indeed optimized for the search engines. An SEO audit simply means determining which pages on your website are doing well and where improvements can be made.
If you answer “no” to any of these questions, it’s time for an SEO audit:
- When you search for “realtors in Richmond, VA,” do you rank anywhere on the first page?
- Are you getting “organic” traffic (traffic you aren’t paying for – ie Google Ads)?
- Is your website generating leads and converting visitors to clients?
If not, the audit can help you figure out why.
Yes, performing an audit can be time-consuming. However, it’s a sound investment because it gives you the information you need for creating a roadmap to optimizing your site for local traffic.
To see which pages need the most attention, start with Google Analytics and then Google Search Console to find out exactly what issues on those pages need to be fixed. Once you have the results, create a systematic plan to address the issues.
In addition to what the search console and analytics help you improve, there are several other things you can do to help ensure your real estate company ranks locally.
- Become an “Authority” – utilize a blog to focus on the local real estate market and tips for buying/selling in the area.
- Use high-quality images and as many custom photos as you can.
- Fix any “broken” links.
- Ensure that you have an SSL Certificate, an XML Sitemap, W3C validation, Schema markup, and a Robots.txt file.
- Have a unique site description – write a unique 500 – 700 keyword-rich (don’t overdo it though) description of your business, location, and service in order to ensure that it stands out and Google has a clear understanding of what you do.
- Use the right primary category.
- Have all of your services listed.
Additionally, you should research & implement:
- Site speed optimization.
- Content optimization.
- Bounce rate and click-through optimization.
Lastly, implement a review section and ask every customer for a review. Review count and rating can be extremely beneficial for SEO and even when you get the page rank you’re looking for, don’t stop asking for reviews. The more, the better.
While there are a lot of tweaks and tricks you can try to implement, addressing the above points will go a LONG way towards optimizing your site for the local market. With a little investment of your time, you can be ranking better than ever before.